Monday, September 6, 2010

Instruction

I have wondered how I might improve the instruction in my classroom. I know that technology is fundamental to my classroom because I have a computer lab to work with, but what are some of the best ways we can present the core to the students? My students are in a very large room so I usually speak to them with a sound system. This cuts back on the exhaustion my voice sustains after speaking to my students without a sound system. I have also used a classroom projector to display instructive materials for my students on a large screen in front of the classroom, be even this at times can seem far away to the students in the back of my room. Last year our school purchased a site license for LAN-School. It has helped me give instruction because my students can see a presentation I may give on their own computer screen. This has done away with the students in the back not being able to see. I find that I show a lot of powerpoint presentations, and don't get me wrong I love powerpoint presentations, but I would like some more ideas to add more diversity to my instruction. I have also been successful at developing some good demonstrations which is interactive as I require the students to follow along on their own computers, save each demonstration, and I score their work at the end of the term. Anyway I know their are plenty of other ways to provide students instruction. What are some things that have worked well for you?

4 comments:

  1. I have found the ipad as an awesome tool in the classroom. There are great apps and kids seem to just think they are cool, which, of course makes them more engaged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too use an audio system. They should be standard in every classroom. The science and history department at our school use quiz clickers, not sure the true name of this product but the students seem to love them, plus teachers get feedback right away and can reteach concepts as soon as they notice students don't get it. I'd like to give them a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use Lan-school in our computer labs but are looking at putting on our mobile labs. Any advice? It works great in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I teach Computer Tech and Keyboarding and have LANschool and absolutely love it! I have an audio system but it unfortunately doesn't work 100% of the time. I stopped using my projector when I got LANschool. The one thing I really want now is a smartboard. I have a friend who teaches at another school who says she doesn't know how she ever taught without her smartboard. I think it's great that you are always trying to diversify your instruction and improve student learning.

    ReplyDelete